If you have a disabled or special needs child who will be turning 18 years of age that you want to continue care for, you may need a guardianship. The purpose of the guardianship is to give you the legal authority to continue to provide for the daily care and financial needs of the adult child. The person asking for the legal authority is the Guardian. The disabled or special needs child is the Ward.
Once a Guardian has been appointed for a Ward by the court, the Guardian is able to care for the Ward’s well-being. The Guardian becomes the Ward’s care-giver. The Guardian can legally sign documents on behalf of the Ward and make decisions on their behalf for their well-being.
The lawyers at Badeaux & Associates practice Texas guardianship law in Harris County, Galveston County and Brazoria County. Many of our clients live in Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood, Pearland, Kemah, Seabrook, Dickinson, Deer Park, Pasadena, and other surrounding cities.
Please call (281) 486-4737 or contact our Clear Lake probate attorneys online to find out how we can help you!
Texas Guardianships We Assist With
Guardianship of the Person
The purpose of this proceeding is to appoint a Guardian to take care of the Ward’s physical and mental well-being. The role of the Guardian is to make decisions related to the Ward’s physical needs including living arrangements, operating a vehicle and other daily needs.
Guardianship of the Estate
The purpose of this proceeding is to appoint a Guardian to handle the Ward’s financial affairs. The role of the Guardian is to make all decisions related to finances. The Guardian controls the Ward’s assets and is in charge of paying expenses of the Ward.
Legal Services We Provide
- Obtaining necessary information from the client for the guardianship process
- Completing and timely filing guardianship pleadings and reports Coordinating with the client and the Ward’s doctor for the medical documentation related to the Ward’s incapacity
- Coordinating with the client and the Court investigator related to a home visit with the Ward
- Coordinating with the court-appointed Attorney Ad Litem related to their interviews with the Ward and other necessary family members
- Attending the hearing to have the Guardian appointed
- Providing ongoing advice to the Guardian as to their duties and responsibilities
- Determining the Ward’s ongoing financial needs
- Preparing Investment Plans with the court
- Preparing Annual Accountings with the court
Contact a Lawyer in Clear Lake for Assistance with a Guardianship
Located in Clear Lake, Badeaux & Associates practices in the courts of Harris County, Galveston County and Brazoria County. Many of our clients live in Clear Lake, League City, Friendswood, Pearland, Kemah, Seabrook, Dickinson, Deer Park, Pasadena, and other surrounding cities.
Feel free to call (281) 486-4737 or contact us online to find out how we can help you with a guardianship matter!